Tuesday, July 5, 2016


I have several needlwork projects going at once.  Not counting the pile of shame lurking in my linen closet of abandoned projects.

A brief list reveals: A) A large needlework canvas showing sound waves in colored blocks,  B)  Amy Mitten Fibers To Dye For Excursion #3, C) a perforated paper needlebook of poppies.  D) A basket of flowers on a beautiful purple background, E)  These stumpwork birds.

Every once in a while, something actually gets finished.  This happened last night.  I will show you, and it will give me a chance to talk about how much inspiration turns out to really be problem solving.

I finished  Amy Mitten, Fibers To Dye For, Excursions #2,  I loved the black silk and the spot motifs, but I left out the alphabet, in the interest of time.

In the meantime, I decided that I wanted to try some ribbon embroidery.  In my mind I started to see some gold satin, and black velvet, and some hand dyed silk ribbon, coming together as a pillow.

I went to Needle in a Haystack and got some Gloriana hand dyed Ribbons.  I bought #133 Pecan and #001 Charcoal, and a bag of odds and ends.

Then I went to my local fabric store and bought some gold satin, and some black velvet.  The velvet was expensive, so I only got a quarter yard, and that is where my design inspiration started.  I now had to limit my design to the size of the width of the velvet I was using for backing.  I knew I wanted strips of velvet on the front, because I wanted to try the ribbon embroidery on that.

Pro Tip:  If you have never done ribbon embroidery before, you should try it, but not on velvet, it is very thick and hard to pull the ribbon through, requiring much cursing, and a thimble.

Here is the finished pillow.  I love how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment